CDC Mission Statement
The Rutgers-Newark Career Development Center is committed to assisting students with making connections between their academic experience and career paths. To accomplish this mission the Career Development Center promotes, coordinates, and provides services to assist students with career advisement and current job search strategies and opportunities. The staff provides not only general information and support, but also individual career counseling to assist in exploring and setting career goals. The Career Development Center offers a number of services to students and alumni. We encourage students to activate their RaiderNet accounts as they begin their academic career and take advantage of our resources throughout their time at the University and beyond. Career Services is not a placement office.
We build relationships with employers, graduate/professional schools and alumni to maximize internship and career opportunities while also developing and enhancing strategic partnerships with campus departments to assist students in developing and articulating co-curricular experiences that will help to ensure they are competitive in their future professional pursuits.
Specifically, the RU-N Career Development Center looks to help its users to:
- Develop self-knowledge relevant to career choice and work performance by identifying, assessing, and understanding their competencies, interests, values, and personal characteristics
- Obtain educational and occupational information to aid career and educational planning and to develop an understanding of the world of work
- Select personally suitable academic programs and experiential opportunities that optimize future educational / employment options
- Take responsibility for developing career decisions, graduate/professional school plans, employment plans and/or job search competencies
- Prepare for finding suitable employment by developing career-search skills, effective candidate presentation skills and an understanding of the fit between their competencies and both occupational and job requirements
- Gain essential experience through student activities, community service, student employment, research projects, internships, co-ops and other opportunities
- Link with alumni, employers professional organizations and others who will provide opportunities to develop professional interests and competencies, integrate academic learning with work and explore future career possibilities
- Seek a desired employment opportunity or entry into an appropriate educational graduate or professional program
- Prepare to manage their careers after successful completion of their degree