Clinical Laboratory Sciences
The Clinical Laboratory Sciences Major: A major in Clinical Laboratory Sciences (CLS) leading to the bachelor of science degree is offered jointly with the Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences-School of Health Related Professions in Newark (RBHS-SHRP) and the Department of Biological Sciences at Rutgers-Newark. The major is offered at NCAS. Students graduating with degrees in CLS become members of health care teams contributing to the diagnosis and treatment of disease. CLS majors are readily employed in a variety of health care, industrial, governmental, and educational settings and also may elect graduate programs in a number of specializations, such as basic and applied science, medical school, and dental school.
Clinical laboratory science majors take three years of course work at Rutgers-Newark. They must apply to the senior clinical year at RBHS-SHRP through a separate admissions process. Admission requirements for the senior clinical year include a cumulative grade-point average of 2.75 and grades of C or better in all prerequisite core science courses taken at Rutgers-Newark. Once admitted, students register for their senior clinical year at RBHS-SHRP specializing in cytotechnology, or medical laboratory science.
Please click on the tabs below to see a list of sample occupations possible with a Clinical Laboratory Sciences degree and a list of employers who have hired Rutgers-Newark students with a degree in Clinical Laboratory Sciences.
- Sample Occupations
- Employers who have Hired R-N Graduates
- Blood Bank Specialist
- Medical Technologist
- Sales Representative
- Science Laboratory Technician
- Diagnostic Ultrasound Technician
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Secretary
- Nuclear Medicine Technologist
- Pharmacy Technician
Employers Who Have Hired R-N Graduates
- Central Intelligence Agency
- Center for Pediatric Research
- National Starch & Chemical Co.
- Lucent Technologies
- Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Newark Museum
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- U.S. Department of Energy
- University of Medicine and Dentistry
- Staten Island Zoological Society
- Nature Conservancy, New Jersey Chapter